Sunday 23 January 2011

So this is the new year... (ish)

It may seem like an age ago that you were drunkenly warbling along with that terrible English folk song that Cliff Richard kind of covered once, while doing the most impractical arm-shaking dance known to man, with people you don't like for ninety per cent of the year, just because a big clock chimed twelve times on a certain date, but believe it or not, it was only three weeks ago.

This may seem like a slightly late 'new year' blog then, but for me, tomorrow marks the real beginning for 2011 for me as I embark on the first day of my MA degree's second term, when I am told the work really starts. 

I do tend to despise those "top tips for 2011"-type features so do not fear, I will not be trying to tell you who will or who won't be hot or not this year, as I have very little authority in that field and my crystal ball isn't up to much these days anyway. It's been a been a while since my last post (*cough* BROKEN RECORD *cough*) so I thought I'd use this opportunity to give you all a rundown of what I've been up to during my blogging hiatus.

I've spent the majority of my Christmas break hacking away at local papers the Leicester Mercury,  Nottingham Post and The Hinckley Times, adventuring around the Midlands looking for that perfect story. All three of these placements had their merits, and I'm grateful for the time and patience they gave me in order for me to further my illustrious journalism career. 

I am aware that this is a music blog, however, so I shan't bore you all with details about what I got up to (but if you are interested, check out my Journalisted page). That said, while I was at the Nottingham Post I was lucky enough to interview 2011's rock n roll saviours The Vaccines ahead of their stint on the Shockwaves NME Awards Tour (you can check it out here).

I was also privileged to speak to Chad Elliot from LA disco-punks Funeral Party last week for a feature on Subba-Cultcha, which is up now here.

Judging by both of those bands, I am really hoping 2011 is going to see the return of decent, energetic rock music, instead of the techno/electro nonsense that has been trying to pass itself off as indie for too long now. That said, I'm hoping to expand my musical horizons this year and attempt to discover bands that are perhaps a little out of my comfort zone.

Anyway, that's all for now, and though I'm aware this was a bit of a self indulgent entry, it's nice to catch up with the world. I'll hopefully be getting this going a bit more regularly in 2011 as I try and embrace London's many music scenes. Don't worry though, I won't be saying goodbye to my roots anytime soon, with 2011's highlights for me including an upcoming interview with excellent British pop-punks Not Advised next month and the reunion tour of the mighty Blink 182 in the summer.

So, in the words of  Frank Turner (who I coincidentally reviewed last month): I won't sit down, I won't shutup, and, most of all, I will not grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment