Friday 16 July 2010

"Nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes" (and student loan repayments): Vince Cable's graduate tax

Again, it’s been far too long since I last posted anything, with a combination of (initial) busy-ness and laziness being the reason. Though you’re used to me discussing the ins and outs of my musical preferences and the scene surrounding these, I’ve decided to branch out a little with this post.

Since my last post I’ve handed in all of my work, partied hard, enjoyed my last surf on golden beaches of the Gower, departed Swansea for good and received my hard-earned degree results. Now stuck in that horrible in-between phase following graduation from my undergraduate degree, but before embarking on the next step (an MA in Newspaper Journalism at City University in September), I have been forced to consider my options for the summer. I have two months ahead of me to fill as I wish, or I would if one thing wasn’t standing in my – the fact that I am flat broke. With this being the defining factor dictating the way I spend my summer, and indeed how I will survive whilst studying in London, I did the standard call around of pubs and restaurants in the area and luckily secured some hours at a local watering hole (it’s really nice, you should really check it out).

However, with me entering one of the most acclaimed courses in one of the most competitive industries in the world, I was well aware that on arrival to City in September others (both fellow students and lecturers alike) would be keen to know what media-related activity I had been up to within the summer recess. Therefore after more ring-arounds and numerous emails I managed to secure a week’s (unpaid) work experience at London’s Evening Standard this week.

Though I have not been particularly busy while undertaking the ‘experience’ (apart from one very eye-opening rainy afternoon spent in a rather deprived estate in Walthemstow) I have had plenty of time to scour the national newspapers and web for news. One story that jumped out at me, for obvious reasons, is Vince Cable’s proposed ‘graduate tax’ as an alternative to the current university tuition fee system.

While it has had its critics, I can’t help but think Cable may actually be onto something. Some have called it a simple “rebranding and remarketing” of the current system, but if we read into it further, I feel it is a fairer way of dealing with student debt and fees.

As I just mentioned, I studied at Swansea University and came out with a first class BA (Hons) in English and Media Studies, and I will start paying back my student loan as soon as I begin to earn more than £15,000 a year, the same threshold as every other graduate, regardless of my chosen career or expected future salary. The impression I get from the proposed graduate tax is that students will not be charged upfront, but the amount they pay will be taken from their wages depending on what and where they have studied and the following career they chose to pursue.

One friend of mine has recently completed an Aerospace Engineering degree at a well-respected university, gaining a first class mark, and has walked into a job which will see him starting on nearly £30,000, which I am not criticizing, as I could not be more happy for him, and I know he really did work hard to achieve everything he has done. However, when I eventually finish my MA (which doesn’t directly affect this discussion as that has to be privately funded) I will be lucky to be earning half of that, and that’s if I’m lucky enough to land myself a job, let alone one that pays at all.

Journalism is not renowned for its high pay, with wages averaging around £24k, but it is an industry where a degree still remains important, with a postgraduate certificate providing an even bigger helping hand. Therefore for me, personally, this idea of a graduate tax is far fairer than the standardised current student loan system. Surely you should only pay back the equivalent to what you have actually gained from your degree? The stories of people who can pay back their student loans within a couple of years angers me because I literally cannot see the light at the end of my tunnel of debt anytime in the near future, and this is because of the industry I will be entering.

While no one enjoys being taxed, and the rich will always complain when their hard earned money is taken away from them, I feel the graduate tax is actually a reasonable form of taxation based on fairness. I still maintain that students of the likes of engineering, business and accounting work no harder than students of any arts based subject, including English, history and politics, and this should be considered when setting prices and arranging repayments to universities. I understand that there is a vast difference between many disciplines studied at university, but to say one is worth more than another in terms of wages-paid is awfully condescending to those at the lower end of the salary ladder.

I’d be really interested to what any of you think, so please leave a comment if you have anything to say on the subject, whether you agree with me or not.

5 comments:

  1. Great read Steve, but I think a graduate tax is a bad idea - especially for someone like Vince Cable. There are so many potholes in the idea. How long after graduation does it take for the money for repayments to commence? What happens if someone gains a degree, having not paid any fees up front, and then leaves to work abroad? Or better yet, gets a degree and, due to the saturated job market, struggles to break into a graduate position?

    Also, I think the whole notion of a two year degree would cheapen (even more so) what such a qualification is worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Steve. Dan Hocking here.

    I like your article. It brings up many of the issues that I find myself considering a lot of the time. We are in a remarkably similar position; I am just about to do a Journalism masters (though mine focuses on broadcast, rather than printed media) after getting a First class degree in Politics last year. So I feel I can totally understand your issues about entering a relatively low-paid industry.

    However, as far as I understand it (under the current system), once a person starts to earn the threshold amount they pay a minuscule amount towards their student debts each month. almost unnoticeable. So I think we are just going to have to get used to this hanging over our heads for many years to come.

    My current tactic is to just pretend it is not there and hopefully it will go away. Much like a bully. A big, really expensive Bully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both points taken, guys. I admit that I don't know the complete ins and outs of the system, as like you said, Si, there are a lot of questions unanswered by Cable's proposals. I guess I'm just saying I agree with certain aspects of and ideas within the proposals.
    As for shortening courses to two years, I definitely think that's wrong. Degrees are already losing their value and this would definitely accelerate this situation.
    Dan, that's exactly how I feel about my student loan, and hopefully it won't affect my life too much, though I know I'll have lots of debts following the completion of my masters that won't be as easy to ignore. What course are you doing anyway and where?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Dan, having coming out of doing a Politics and International Relations degree last year (albeit with only a 2.1 - but a high one!). Although I am desperate to break into sports journalism, I'm not in a position to be able to go on and do a postgraduate course - mostly because I'm terrified of the additional financial burden.

    I guess it's the price paid for doing a degree in something you're genuinely interested in, rather than a course you think will settle you into a good job instantly. I'm sure there was a time when there wasn't really too much of a difference.

    I think student debt will always be the white elephant in the room, and with the UK in such an economic mess, it's more about making that decision before you enter higher education and weighing up the pros and cons. Like you said, Stephen, ungraduate degrees are already losing their value, and it's now getting to the point where an MA or MSc is necessary to get a foot in the door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice piece. But I think you're taking the possibility of a graduate tax too seriously. It may be fair, even fairer than fees. But Vince Cable is not the man who can make it happen. And Conservatives don't like it. See my blog at http://bit.ly/bhNCoA

    ReplyDelete